OK – in full disclosure I didn’t make this myself, Mrs S. did… But I certainly ate it so that is close enough right?? It tasted amazing an I am reliably informed it was very simple to make (just as the recipe indicates).
It is based on Aquafaba (which is the fluid that you get when you drain a can of chickpeas – I know!). If you leave the oil out then you get a fat free version. But honestly at circa 180 cals a serving I just through caution to the wind. Enjoy – I did 🙂
Recipe CardCuisine: Vegan, DessertDifficulty: Easy
A simple way to make vegan ice cream without an ice cream maker. Free of dairy, gluten, and nuts. This use the magic of Aquafaba to create amazing ice cream, with minimal fuss and effort.
- Aquafaba Ice Cream Base
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp vanilla extract
120g powdered sugar
- Blended Milk Mixture
180ml plant-based milk (I like oat but pick your favourite)
60ml canola oil (or any other neutral oil you have in your kitchen)
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Flavour Options
80g berries or fruit
20g cocoa powder
80g peanut butter
1 tbsp instant coffee
- Drain a can of chickpeas into a medium sized mixing bowl and sprinkle with some cream of tartar. (This will be 3/4 cup of aquafaba liquid).
- Beat on high speed with a mixer for 6 minutes until very fluffy.
- Add a tbsp. of vanilla and beat again for about a minute.
- Continue to beat the aquafaba while slowly adding the powdered sugar a few tablespoons at a time until it is well blended and very fluffy. (This should take about 2 more minutes). Make sure to beat the aquafaba for a total of 9 minutes from start to finish.
- Blend the Milk Mixture and Flavour of Choice
- Put milk of choice, oil and any flavor of choice (Berries, chocolate, coffee, etc…) into a blender and mix for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the milk mixture into the fluffy aquafaba a little at a time, folding in. Don’t over stir or your ice cream will lose its fluffiness.
- Pour into a freezer safe container and immediately freeze for at least 4 hours to set completely.
- Be sure not to overbeat once the milk mixture has been added.
- Omit the oil to make it fat-free. (It’s just not a rich and creamy without oil).
- Use canned coconut milk instead of other plant-based milk. (If using coconut milk, there is no need to add additional oil).