Squidgy brownies, without the dairy or eggs. They’re perfect for vegans and people following a dairy-free diet. OK they are not the lowest calorie option… But then sometimes you just need a little pick me up!
Vegan BrowniesCourse: Desert, SnacksCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
½ tsp coffee granules
80g vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
125g self-raising flour
70g ground almonds
50g cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
250g golden caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3½. Grease and line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment. Combine the flaxseed with 6 tbsp water and set aside for at least 5 mins.
- In a saucepan, melt 120g chocolate, the coffee and margarine with 60ml water on a low heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Put the flour, almonds, cocoa, baking powder and ¼ tsp salt in a bowl and stir to remove any lumps. Using a hand whisk, mix the sugar into the melted chocolate mixture, and beat well until smooth and glossy, ensuring all the sugar is well dissolved. Stir in the flaxseed mixture, vanilla extract and remaining chocolate, then the flour mixture. Spoon into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 35-45 mins until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean with moist crumbs. Allow to cool in the tin completely, then cut into squares. Store in an airtight container and eat within three days.
- Eat within three days has never been a problem! I love these for after swimming. Easy to take to the pool and fab with a post swim coffee… But other “eating references” are available no doubt! Hope you all enjoy these amazing little treats.